Saturday, March 13, 2010

This has been the strangest week of late.  Just when we became accustomed to lovely spring weather, we were thrown back into the dead of winter.  Rain, rain, rain, and cold winds. Day after day, or so it seemed.  We had two nights of  frost just after I transplanted my baby peppergrass into the herb garden.  Such tiny little things. Fortunately, they seem to be pretty hardy little plants.  All of them have survived.  Reyn brought his seedlings in from the cold-frame during the freeze, but they are now all back outside and doing well.

Today while conducting my garden tour I noticed that the peas Reyn planted last week are just beginning to show themselves.  I found a few more asparagus spears, and the rhubard leaves are unfurling themselves with a passion.  Our baby plum tree has been in full bloom now for about a week.  We're hoping for pollination, but I haven't seen any bees, which casues me to worry. I'm concerned that the combination of early flowering and the wet weather may keep us from seeing much, if any, fruit on the little tree this year.

It has been a good week for indoor projects, so yesterday I started cilantro and chive seeds.  I have been wanting to try making newspaper pots in which to plant the seeds. That will allow me to simply set the plants, pot and all, into the ground at transplanting time, avoiding shock to the seedlings when pulling them out of the soil to be divided.  I cut strips of newspaper about 8" wide.  Wraped the paper around a tin can, and folded up the bottom.  You can staple the sides closed, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.  I put a small piece of tape on the folded up bottom to secure it until I filled it with soil.

Then simply fill the nice little cups with potting soil, add seeds, and sprinkle with water.  Voila!  The newspaper gets damp, but holds the soil and plants securely until they are ready for the garden. After transplanting into garden soil, the paper quickly decomposes.  It' simple, avoids plastic pots, is easy on the plants, and is free of harmful bacteria.  Simply worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment