Wednesday, March 3, 2010

More thoughts on bread - Yesterday's post focused on one of my favorite sourdough bread recipes.  Sourdough is great, I love it. But, if you don't have a sourdough starter living in your fridge you can still make great bread following the same techniques I showed yesterday.
Here are the basic ingredients:

3 cups flour ( 2 white and 1 whole wheat, or all white)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/3 cups water

This bread is so easy and good that you'll want to make it every day.

If you don't have a sourdough starter, barm, or mother hiding in your refrigerator I suggest that you ask around until you find someone to share some of their's.  It's possible to create your own starter from scratch, but it takes patience and I have never been successful at getting one going.  Most bakers who nurture a starter would be happy to share, and thus increase the ranks of sourdough enthusiasts. It only takes a small amount of starter to begin.

A barm, or sourdough starter, is a living culture of yeast and bacteria that requires periodic feeding of flour and water. The culture may be kept in the refrigerator for long periods of time and still be viable, but it will have to be fed and revived before it wll be strong enough to produce good bread.  If it has been unattended for any length of time it is advisable to feed it within 3 days of the time you intend to bake - the day before is best.  I keep two containers of barm, mostly because I use it frequently and I hate to throw any away.  I also frequently pass some on to interested bakers.

To feed your starter - always at least double the quantity of your starter.  I usually feed mine when I have used all but the last cup or so of starter.  To that last cup I add one cup of flour and one of water, stir it to hydrate the flour, then close the lid and let it sit at room temperature at least 4 hours - overnight works fine. It will look bubbly on top - you'll then know that it's working.  It is now ready for bread, or can be stored in the fridge.  If your strater has been dormant for a long time - months, you may need to refresh, or feed, it a couple of times before it becomes very active.  If it has separated and is watery on top when taken from the fridge, just stir in together, it should be find.  A strong starter will have a nice sourdough smell, and have a texture that is sort of like a gooey glob.  It clings together.  Most recipes use a cup or less, so you don't need a large quantity.  I like to think of my starter as sort of a little pet. It makes me happy.  I watch it, I feed it, I smell it; it bubbles up and smiles at me.  Ah, so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment