Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dreaming of Spring.  The past two days have provided nothing but 40 degree dark, rainy, and blustery days.  How quickly the doldrums of winter set in.  It seems like we'll never see the sun again, did we ever?  

Since the weather has kept us out of the garden, lately my thoughts have again turned to food.  Namely desserts.  I've been thinking about delectable, low-fat desserts.  There must be some.  Now, I'm not the kind of cook to use what I consider "fake ingredients".  No non-fat whipping cream for me.  I'm looking for yummy desserts that are naturally low in saturated fat.  I think I've found one. Thanks to the inspiration provided by a member of my Book Club.

Poached Pears are delightful, easy to make, and have no fat . . . .  unless you top them with a caramel sauce.  Hmmm, not a bad idea.  Here's how I made them.

For just the two of us I used only two pears.  I served some of the poaching liquid with the pears and had enough left over to repeat the dessert a second time.

In a sauce pan, heat -
1/2 cup sugar in
1/2 cup water until dissolved.
To get enough liquid to cover the pears I added -
1/2 cup orange juice and
1/2 cup, or so, of rose wine.  Red or white would also work
For flavor I added -
one slice of fresh ginger,
freshly grated nutmeg,
a dash of vanilla
Into this gently drop
2 pears, peeled and cored from the bottom
Cover and poach at a simmer for about 20 minuted, until the pears are soft.

I served them warm, sitting in a pool of the poaching liquid.  A really healthy, really delicious dessert.  Chocolate or caramel sauce drizzled over the pears would be a nice addition, but, then there goes the low-fat idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment