Friday, February 26, 2010

Searching for great low fat food - I was unexpectedly thrown for a loop this week when I learned that my cholestoral level is high. This is something new for me now that I am quickly approaching 60.  I eat well, I'm thin and very active and, inaccurately thought that because I burn lots of calories, I could eat anything I wanted.  I guess that's no longer the case.

In an attempt to lower my numbers by the end of May I've vowed to change my diet significantly. That means less fat, and no animal fat of any kind.  That includes butter (Owe!) and, cheese and, meat and cake.  I'm determined.

This week I've been pouring over nutritional charts and cookbooks looking for inspiration.  It really seems to involve just a little tweaking of my mindset.  I love tasty, colorful, fresh food. That I can do!

Tonight's offering was a hearty Minestrone Soup with Lentils.  It was delicious, low-fat and, easy to prepare.  I served it with a simple salad, and Reyn's Sourdough Wholewheat/flax seed bread along with some herbed Yogurt Cheese. Reicpe follows.

Minestrone Soup with Lentils

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 onion. diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup of small green lentils
1 quart of chicken stock
1 1/2 pints of tomatoes - I used roasted tomatoes with basil
1 red potato
1 cup green beans
a few leaves of kale, cut in strips
1/2 - 1 tsp of basil, oregano
2 bay leaves
1 - 2 cups of cooked pasta
salt and pepper to taste

Saute vegetables in olive oil until they begin to soften - about 7 minutes. Add lentils and saute lightly, then add stock and herbs. Simmer, partially covered, for about 15- 20 minutes.  Add tomatoes and diced potato.  Cook until potato is done. Add green beans, followed in a mintue or two by the kale.  Cook only briefly, then add the cooked pasta.  Season to taste and enjoy.  I topped the finished soup with a dollop of pesto and, (for Reyn) some shredded parmesan cheese.

Most of the ingredients for this soup came right from my freezer.  I used stock as well as roasted tomatoes with basil and garlic, and green beans frozen from last summer's harvest. 

A very satisfying very low-fat meal.   We'll have leftover soup for tomorrow.  Now I'm off the hook until Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment