Thursday, February 18, 2010

One reason that I'm writing this blog is to help me remember what I've cooked, and liked, so that I might have some backup ideas stashed away. There are times when I try to come up with a menu and simply draw a blank, wondering if I've ever really cooked anything good.  Surely, I have. But, what?

My approach to meal planning and preparation during the winter is very different than when the garden is in production.  When possible I chose a very spontaneous approach to our meals.  I especially like to cruise through the garden sometime late in the afternoon gathering inspiration and fresh produce as I go.  That's a little harder to do during the winter. 

The long winter days have found me with stacks of cookbooks on my counter alongside a cup of tea, a notepad and, a grocery list.  I don't always follow recipes very closely, but I do use them for inspriation.  I seem to find myself with periodic themes.  Lately I've been in the asian mode.  After gaining a spark of inspriation I head to the fish market and grocery store to see what looks good.  Yesterday I found some lovely wild Northwest Silver Salmon. I decided to pair it with a chinese style noodle cake, some stir fried vegetables and my favorite winter salad.
Menu:  Broiled Silver Salmon with Red Curry Sauce
            Noodle Cake
            Stir Fry of Snow Peas, Asparagus and Yellow Pepper
            Salad Greens with Heirloom Oranges and Almonds


For the Noodle Cake - cook some thin chinese egg noodles, drain and rinse in cool water.  Toss with 1 - 2 TBS of toasted sesame oil, 2 TBS of chopped cilantro and 1/2 - 1 tsp of red pepper flakes. Set aside.  The noodles take only about 10 minutes to finish, so I began cooking them about the time the salmon went into the oven.  To do so, heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick saute pan.  Add all of the noodles and pat into a large cake.  Cook on medium heat until nicely browned, about 5 min..  Using a plate for support, turn the noodles and cook on the other side another 5 minutes or so. I served the noodles by cutting the large cake in quarters.

Salmon in Red Curry Sauce -
  1 can of coconut milk
  4 TBS of Thai red curry paste
  juice of 1 lime
  2 -3 kaffir lime leaves, torn in small pieces

Open the can of coconut milk and skim off about 2 TBS of the cream - set aside.  In a saute pan add the rest of the heavy cream part of the coconut milk.  Mix in the curry paste and cook approx. 2 minutes.  Gradually add the rest of the coconut milk, stirring and heating as you go.  Stir in kaffir lime leaves and follow with lime juice to taste.

Grill the salmon - I used the convection/broil function of my oven and cooked the fish for about 8 minutes.

I quickly stir-fried the vegetables and seasoned them only with a little salt and pepper.

To serve, spoon sauce on the plate and top with the salmon and a wedge of noodles.  Top the salmon with a touch of the reserved coconut cream.  Add a salad and you're ready for a very tasty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment