Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sometimes you just need something that is quick and easy.  Of course, that's my speciality.   Don't get me wrong, there are times when I love getting involved in the long drawnout process of planning, shopping, and executing a complex multi-step meal.  For me, those times usually involve hours of pouring over cookbooks, several attempts at putting together a menu, long shopping lists and timetables, and most importantly, dinner guests. The truth is that while I thoroughly enjoy the preparation, by the time I serve my guests I am often not very interested in the food. I hope that the others find the dinner more appealing than I do on those occasions.  The planning and the preparation have been the focus of my pleasure, not the eating. For me, the most enjoyable meals are often entirely spontaneous, last minute, off-the-shelf ,or just from the garden affairs. 

Here is a simple, quick, and delicious meal for those times when I don't really feel like cooking - Shrimp and White Bean Salad on a bed of Baby Spinach.  The beans are out of a can, unless I have leftover beans, and what could be faster to prepare than lightly sauteed shrimp.  It is possible to use frozen, pre-cooked, shrimp, but I prefer fresh.

White Bean  and Shrimp Salad (for 2)
1 can of white beans, drained
2/3 - 3/4# of fresh shrimp (frozen if you choose)
2 tomatoes cut 1" cubes
2 scallions, sliced
1 tsp basil
1 tsp lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbs olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, 1 clove of minced garlic, sliced scallions, basil, lemon zest, juice of 1/2 lemon, and about 2 Tbsp of the olive oil.  I used lemon infused oil. Toss together and set aside. Saute the shrimp over medium high heat in the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil with 1 clove of minced garlic, just until it turns an opaque pink color. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the shrimp and add all to the bean/tomato mixture.  Gently toss together and season to taste with salt and pepper.



To serve on a bed of baby spinach, toss spinach with a little vinaigrette and arrange on plates.  Top with Shrimp Salad.  A nice baguette or slice of sourdough bread completes the meal.  Hmmmm, makes me hungry again.

1 comment: