Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gone but not forgotten.  Simply put, I love butter. I really do.  I believe it to be one of my very favorite foods.  Everything tastes better with butter.  I like it on freshly baked bread, on pancakes, in cake cakes, in cookies, in pie crust, and, hmmm . . . in everything.  I like things sauteed in butter, I like butter drizzled on my vegetables, and I especially like crab dipped in butter.  I've always liked butter.   When I was a very small child my family lived on a farm.  I enjoy a vivid memory of perching on the kitchen countertop while my mother whipped cream from our cows in the mixer to make it into butter.  I remember tasting the butter when it came together and again after she added salt.  It was devine.

I have always been one of those persons who used butter in the kitchen with wild abandon - a la Julia Child.  I, in fact, may have single handedly supported the butter division of the dairy industry after everyone else jumped ship.  It was my habit to purchase at least one pound of butter with almost every trip to the grocer.

Well, do you remember about my high cholesterol?  I'm so sorry to say that the butter days are over, at least for now.  I still love it, and sometimes crave it, but I haven't had even a taste of butter in over 10 weeks.  Remarkably, I have survived without it.  Today I'm going to share with you one of my butter survival tricks - Yogurt Cheese.  No kidding.  It's good, it's non-fat, easy to make and can be spread on things that once seemed to need butter.

Yogurt Cheese
Yogurt, I used plain, non-fat - any quantity works
Cheese cloth
a little salt
herbs, if desired

Basic yogurt cheese is simply made by draining yogurt in cheese cloth overnight.  First, line a strainer with  cheese cloth and spoon in the yogurt.  Then gather the cheese cloth together and suspend the ball of yogurt over a bowl to catch the liquid.  Allow to drain overnight.  When the cheese has thickened add a pinch of salt - which will counter the tart flavor of the yogurt.  You may also add other seasonings of your choice.  For a savory herbed cheese you might try basil, thyme and a little pressed garlic.  For a breakfast spread I add a little sugar and a drop of vanilla.

This spread is nice with crackers, and in sandwiches.  I also like it on pancakes and waffles,with syrup or on toast with jam.  Yogurt cheese is not only non-fat, but has twice the calcium and protein of regular yogurt, thanks to the draining process.   Try it,  I think you'll like it. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment