Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Buckets of Chard

Garden surprises. We've reached that time of year when large containers of produce begin to appear unexpectedly on my back door step. You may remember from earlier posts that one of the small pleasures in my life is cruising through the garden on a late afternoon, seeing what's new and looking for inspiration for the coming dinner.  It's really the way I prefer to cook.  Prospective gardeners and cooks be forewarned, there are some days when we are not all on the same page.  I had allowed myself to forget that until this week when I was suddenly met by a large white bucket full of swiss chard.

I really like swiss chard and am not opposed to cooking it several times a week during peak production, but a bucket full is just too much.  In fact it made me kind of crabby.  But only for a minute. You may ask how that bucket came to land on my porch?  It seems that the gardener in the family noticed that the chard plants were shading the new little carrots which had recently been planted with a Fall harvest in mind.  His solution?  Cut 8 beautiful leafy chard plants to the ground.  Voila, the carrots now receive full sun. . . . . .  and we'll be having chard for dinner. Now, of course, he didn't intend for me to cook all that he had cut.   In fact I was told to put it in the compost if I wished, but how does one justify throwing away perfectly lovely leaves of chard?  Here is the tasty recipe I came up with.  You may want to try it.  Even if you don't have a bucket full of chard.

Swiss Chard with Garlic and Pine nuts

1 large bunch of chard, stems removed 
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 Tbsp pine nuts
salt and pepper to taste

Wash chard and remove stems.  Chop the stems into pieces about 1/2" long and set aside.  Slice the leaves into strips about 1" wide, then cut the strips in half.  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop in the chard leaves and blanch about 1 minute, then drain and rinse them in cool water.  Set aside.

Heat oil in a saute pan then add the garlic, pine nuts, and sliced chard stems.  Cook about 3- 5 minutes adding salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from the pan and set aside.  Just before serving, add the blanched leaves to the saute pan with a touch of oil and saute briefly just to coat the leaves with oil and to warm them. To serve, arrange  the leaves on plates or serving dish and top with the stem, garlic, pine nut mixture.

This makes a lovely side dish.  The garlic and pine nuts are great flavors in compliment to the chard.

Hmmm. . . . . . I wonder how I'll prepare the chard tomorrow night?

No comments:

Post a Comment