Thursday, October 28, 2010

Back to reality


Prawns with tomato saffron risotto
 Rain - here we go again.  It seems to have happened so suddenly.  I still have plenty of yard work to do, but somehow it is less appealing when it's raining.  I have recently hired someone to help me dig up the beloved and dreaded Lily-of-the-valley that has taken over much of my front yard.  We have dug up and removed wheel barrows, many wheel barrows, full of the roots.  Of course, I know that it is impossible to get rid of all of it, but I am sure the presence of those beautiful, fragrant flowers will be much less next spring.

One unsuspected result of all this digging has been the unearthing of an entire bucket full of tulip bulbs. Bulbs that have been clustered together for years, never producing flowers.  Bulbs that I didn't even know I had.  Over the years I have planted and replanted tulips.  I seem to get a few flowers each year, but not many.  I had always blamed the squirrels, thinking they had moved my bulbs to a location more to their liking.  Well, it turns out that the bulbs were there all the time, patiently awaiting the day when I would divide and replant them.  This would be that day. . . . . . . if only it weren't raining.  I'm willing to wait a few more days, but you may soon find me donning the rain gear and digging in the mud.  Finding places for all those bulbs will not be easy.  Hmmm, really, it's a good problem to have.

While we may be marching toward winter, we are still able to find good things to eat in the garden.  Although I must admit that the daily harvest is getting a little slim, and at this stage, is not the main portion of our meals. We did end up with a great dinner last night, which once again got it's start in the garden.  I was able to pick a nice combination of greens for a salad, and finally did pick the last two small very crisp cucumbers. For weeks now I have thought that I was seeing the last of the cukes, but they just kept producing.  Sadly, it really is over now.  I also used cauliflower, leeks, a couple of tomatoes, and our last onion.  I roasted the onion and cauliflower for a side dish.  I combined the leek and tomato with garlic and saffron in a delicious risotto which I topped with seared prawns.  It was all a success.
Prawns with Tomato Saffron Risotto

2/3 pounds of jumbo Mexican Prawns
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 cloves of garlic, slivered
a splash of white wine

1 cup arborio rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp saffron threads, crumbled
1/4 cup warm water
1 leek, white part, sliced
1 clove garlic
1 tomato, cut into small dice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

For risotto:   sprinkle saffron threads in 1/4 cup warm water, allow to steep. Bring chicken stock to a simmer, add wine.  Let sit on low burner to maintain heat while making the risotto.  In a large deep pan add olive oil, heat to med/low add garlic and leeks, saute lightly.  Add the rice and stir until it begins to turn opaque and is coated with oil - just a few minutes.  To the rice begin adding the liquid.  Stir in about 1 cup of stock, then add the saffron water and chopped tomato.  Cook stirring until the liquid is absorbed by the rice.  Continue adding stock, one cup at a time, stirring each time until it is absorbed.  Rice is done when most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is creamy and just a little bit firm in the middle.  When the rice gets to this point remove it from the burner to wait while the prawns are cooked.

For the prawns: Heat olive oil over med/high in a heavy skillet.  Stir in garlic slivers.  When the pan is hot, but not smoking, toss in the prawns and sprinkle with red pepper flakes,  Cook briefly on each side until the flesh is pink and opaque - don't over cook.  At the last minute add a splash of white wine and/or lemon juice.  Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley or chives.  Serve over risotto.  I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment