Tuesday, November 3, 2020

 It’s undeniable, the cold weather is here and the garden is about finished.
We’ve been cleaning up like mad and preparing most of the garden beds for winter. That involves pulling up the old plants, collecting leaves from the yard and using the lawn mower to chop them up, then spreading the chopped leaves on the garden beds. As the season goes on and the trees provide more falling leaves, those piles of leaves get higher.  Remarkably, they all break down and disappear by planting time in the spring making the soil rich and easy to work.  With a spade Reyn gently turns over the areas as he plants his seedlings.  No rototilling is ever necessary.

 

We’ve been having spectacular fall weather with cool mornings followed by warm sunny afternoons.  The kind of days that are perfect for working outside.  Nothing makes me happier than a day putzing around the yard. I no longer put in long arduous days of physical labor.  I work at a slower pace, taking breaks whenever I choose, and simply enjoying  my ever changing environment. 
After pulling out the annuals, and cutting back the perennials I’m looking ahead to spring. My order of bulbs arrived just in time and I have been busy getting them in the ground - 100 white tulips, along with 25 snow drops and 25 anemones. The planting went easily, but I followed that by covering the planted area with chicken wire in an attempt to keep the resident squirrels from feasting on and moving my bulbs. Cutting and anchoring the wire turned out to be more of a job than I expected.  Now I just wait.


Still there are tomatoes ripening on the counter, zucchini in the fridge, and one lovely cucumber left to be eaten. The weather has changed and it seems like summer is long gone,  but the sunny days - and abundance of tomatoes -  have inspired me to make one of my favorite summer pasta dishes. This is one that I make only when there are plenty of fresh vine ripened tomatoes, best when they are still warm from the garden.  I think you’ll like it too.




Susan’s Fresh Tomato Pasta


Plenty of tomatoes(4-5), vine ripened if possible

2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced

2 TBS capers

¼ cup chopped kalamata olives

½ tsp salt, or to taste - I like Maldon salt for this

2 TBS balsamic vinegar

¼ cup of olive oil

Basil, fresh is best, I used dried this time, ¾ tsp


So simple.  Just core and chop the tomatoes, then stir all ingredients together and let sit at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the meal.  I recommend at least 30 minutes, however, the longer the better. There is no cooking for this sauce.  It has the beautiful rich flavor that can only be achieved with fresh tomatoes.  Toss with cooked pasta - I like casarecce or gemelli which hold the sauce nicely. I sprinkled a bit of goat cheese in top and some pine nuts, but neither is necessary.  I hope you like it.





No comments:

Post a Comment