Sunday, September 5, 2010

Yet Another Berry Tart

Try, try again - This time I think I've got it.  As some of you may know, in the quest for lower cholesterol, I have changed my eating habits - and thus, my cooking habits.  I've all but given up eating cheese, butter, and any dairy products that are not fat free. I've lost interest in beef and eat only small amounts of chicken and pork, and I use olive oil with abandon.  I don't consider myself vegetarian, but eating vegetables and grains seem to make me feel the best.  The biggest problem with my transition to a healthier diet has been my sweet tooth,  and coming up with desserts that satisfy my life-long love for pastries, pies, cakes, and cookies.  That's a hard one. 

Our garden produces an abundance of berries, and all summer I've been attempting to make a berry tart with a crust that would satisfy both my culinary desires and my wish for a low-fat dessert.  I've found out that it is not easy to make a tender pastry crust without using butter.  Actually, I think that's been known for a very long time, but I've been trying anyway.   I've devised a very good non-fat filling, but the crust has eluded me. . . . . . . . . until now.  I think I've finally succeeded.

I've been making low-fat oatmeal cookies using a small amount of olive oil and no butter.  They are good in both flavor and texture, so  I decided to try a variation of the cookie dough for a tart crust.  It worked. The curst is easily made in a food processor, then pressed into the tart pan and baked.  It bakes up tender and slightly crunchy, and doesn't get soggy when filled.  The flavor is nice and doesn't overwhelm the filling and berries.  This will definitely become one of my standard crust recipes.  You may want to try it.  Here's the recipe:

Susan's Oatmeal Cookie Tart Crust
for a 8" tart pan (quantities may be increased for larger pan)

3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup mild flavored olive oil

Place oats, flour, sugar, soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixed.  Add the olive oil and pulse until the dough begins to come together.  It will be crumbly and begin to hold together.  Remove from bowl and press onto the sides and bottom of a lightly oiled tart pan with a removable bottom.  Bake at 375F for 12 - 15 minutes, until the dough is firm and is beginning to brown just a little.  Cool thoroughly before filling.

No Kidding, Delicious Non-fat Tart Filling

3/4 quart of Non-fat Vanilla Yogurt
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Grand Marnier
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup fruit or berry jam

Drain the yogurt by placing it in cheese cloth or a coffee filter, suspended over a bowl for several hours.  The longer you allow it to drain the thicker it will become.  If drained overnight it will be about the consistency of cream cheese.  When ready to use the filling stir in sugar, Grand Marnier, and vanilla to taste. 

To assemble the tart cover the bottom of the tart crust, in the pan, with a layer of  jam  (I used strawberry-rhubarb) Follow by spooning the filling over the jam and carefully spreading it to cover the pan bottom.  Top with fruit and/or berries and sprinkle lightly with sugar.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
So sad to report that I picked the very last of our blue berries when making this tart.  I guess Fall is really knocking on our back door.

No comments:

Post a Comment